What Can You Do With a Pebble Watch?
At its most basic level, any smartwatch serves to mirror notifications from your connected device (usually your smartphone) onto your wrist. This may not sound like a great deal, but you soon come to realize what a time-saver that is. Not having to fish your phone out of your pocket or bag numerous times a day really adds up, time-wise.
Of course, Pebble allows you to interact further by taking actions on those notifications. You can, for instance, dismiss a call to stop your phone ringing. You can delete e-mail messages, or open them on the phone. To give an idea of what can be achieved with a Pebble watch, I have made a couple of lists below. The first list contains native functionality, and the second contains functionality derived from apps loaded onto your Pebble Watch.
Native Pebble Functionality:
- Select from hundreds of different watch faces. A selection is provided on the watch, but hundreds can be downloaded and placed on your watch. These watch faces provide not only time, but often weather information and things like battery status, missed calls, etc.
- Read any notification which can appear on your phone (Android or iOS).
- Dismiss notifications.
- Set Alarms (watch vibrates at the appointed time).
- Control music on your connected device (start, stop, change track, adjust volume).
- Receive e-mails. You can dismiss, delete, archive, open on your phone, view the conversation or reply. Starting with the Pebble time, you can use the microphone to dictate a reply. With the original Pebble and the Pebble Steel, you can send a stock message or an emoticon, which is chosen from a list on the watch.
- Receive text messages. You can dismiss, open on your phone, view the conversation or reply. Starting with the Pebble time, you can use the microphone to dictate a reply. With the original Pebble and the Pebble Steel, you can send a stock message or an emoticon, which is chosen from a list on the watch.
Pebble Functionality with Apps
Of course, the sky's the limit as far as apps go, but here are some examples of things that can be provided by downloadable applications:
- View your calendar and agenda.
- Activity and sleep monitors such as Misfit, Up, etc. These use the Pebble's built-in accelerometor.
- Tip calculator.
- Timer and Stopwatch.
- Weather forecast and alerts.
- Social Media Integration (Facebook, Yelp, WhatsApp, etc.)
- Sports scores sent to your watch.
- TV Remote.
- Transit/Public Transport Times.
- Dialler (initiate calls on your phone)
- Control your thermostat at home.
- Pay for your purchases (such as Starbucks, etc.)
These are just a sample of things that can be achieved through applications added to your Pebble watch, and more applications are written every day.
Lastly, worth mentioning here is Pebble's ability to interact with the tasker application on your phone. This really open up a world of possibilities, and people have used this set up to do anything from sending location information to emergency contacts, locating their phone, controlling their phone's settings, initiating audio or video recording, taking photographs and even opening their garage door!
As you can see, smartwatches open up a whole world of possibilities that really are only limited by your imagination!